Artist

Alexander Averin

Sunday 4 September 2011

Just a picture and a poem



Autumn leaves - Millais



West Virginia – A Life



Once a cog state,

good for only coal and oil and gas,

it was always almost heaven to me.

I sit out this lifetime on my porch now;

my dreams are ancient mountains,

cool trout waters, may apples and black walnuts

white pine and willow, sycamore.

Our old log cabin in the wildwoods,

my one-room school, a walking bridge,

grapevines over rivers, skimming stones.

Winter and I are kin now;

where once was warmth, sub-tropical and kind,

there’s only snow, bone-seeping ice, so cruelly cold.

I seek my solace in the Appalachian Fall,

its radiant colours lift me somewhere high,

a place near heaven, bright and God-given.

I still hear music in my heart,

the fiddlers and the balladeers, they move me

with their tunes of joy, laments of pain,

and strains of Ireland in their tears



Cait O’Connor

6 comments:

Fran Hill said...

I really like 'my dreams are ancient mountains' here. And I always love the Millais paintings.

CAMILLA said...

Hello Cait,

I have always loved Millais paintings, wonderful poem too.

xx

SAS said...

Cait, you have captured the very essence of the children of these Appalachian Mts.in your lovely poem. They are soulful, comforting, and such a part of us. We honor them and what they offer. We also feel our strong Irish connections. Thank you.

The painting was lovely, too.

Wisewebwoman said...

Lovely Cait, thank you.
XO
WWW

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Great painting, very seasonal, and love the poem too. Always enjoy visits to your blog, they are thought provoking and visually pleasing. big hugs, Margie.

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Cait

Love the poem and the lovely picture.

I enjoy your blog very much.

Best
Tracy :)