Artist

Alexander Averin

Friday 27 February 2009

Blessings mostly




For no reason other than I love cottages and their windows.

An Irish cottage window.



Dear Diary,

Advocates of capitalism are very apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate”

Bertrand Russell 1872-1890



A short blog today methinks. I could write reams about the fnancial situation, the greed that exists in our society and how money is indeed at the root of most evil. But I won't. Not today anyway.

Just Blessings.





It will soon be World Book Day.

To be honest every day is book day for me.
And I like nothing more than discovering a Good Read especially by recommendations from other bibliophiles.. I am in two book groups, one virtual, one at the library.. I also read loads of reviews of course and adore booky blogs.






I shall post some much-loved titles here from time to time so do watch this space. Just for today I will mention The Story of Edgar Sawtelle again. A fantastic book, especially if you are a dog-lover as I am. But you don’t have to be. Just read it.

And talking of just for today (I will not worry) I want to mention Self-Reiki. It is meant to be especially powerful. It certainly works as I had a deep and dreamless sleep last night and it has made me feel quite rested.

I always look forward to new music releases by my favourite artists. I can’t wait to hear U2’s new CD which is out on March 2nd.

Classic TV and radio programmes. Life would be sad without them.

Radio 4, I love it so and did enjoy Desert Island Discs this morning. I hardly ever miss it. Today it was David Walliams and I found it quite revealing. His music, which was like a sound track to his life so far, was full of longing and loss. So many funny, creative souls have their sad, dark and melancholic side don’t they? Coincidentally, the book he chose to take to his desert island was a collection of Philip Larkin’s poems. I featured the poem Days by Larkin in my last blogpost.

I also featured the recipe for M's fruit cake in my last posting.

Talking of which, here is the proof:


And now I am off to cut myself a slice and a lump of mature cheddar cheese to go with it. Can anyone recommend a really strong cheddar by the way? We just can't seem to find a good one. I may then curl up with Anita Shreve (Testimony) and a cuppa or two and I may drift off to sleep, who knows? I have to stay up tonight as there is a very important rugby match to watch - Wales are playing France in the Six Nations. Fingers and everything crossed Cymru!

But I shall end with Larkin once more in honour of David Walliams and Desert Island Discs. I shall post my own island record choice as soon as I get aroundtuit (anyone know who sells those?).


Dublinesque

Down stucco sidestreets,
Where light is pewter
And afternoon mist
Brings lights on in shops
Above race-guides and rosaries,
A funeral passes.

The hearse is ahead,
But after there follows
A troop of streetwalkers
In wide flowered hats,
Leg-of-mutton sleeves,
And ankle-length dresses.

There is an air of great friendliness,
As if they were honouring
One they were fond of;
Some caper a few steps,
Skirts held skilfully
(Someone claps time),

And of great sadness also.
As they wend away
A voice is heard singing
Of Kitty, or Katy,
As if the name meant once
All love, all beauty.





Bye for now,
Go mbeannai Dia duit,
Cait

15 comments:

Pondside said...

If you were over here I'd recommend a nice sharp Balderson Cheddar - can just taste it with that fruit cake.
Testimony is on my list to read one of these days, too.

DAB said...

And where pray is my slice of that wondeful looking cake of yours? (cake with cheese, sounds like heaven to me :). Love the Larkin poem TFX

Suffolkmum said...

Love the Bertrand Russell quote. Am intrigued to hear about self-reikki, I haven't come across that before. Have you tried Yeo Valley organic extra mature cheddar? It's my favourite supermarket cheese.

Barbee' said...

Cait, I feel very comfortable visiting your blog. I love cottages, books, fruitcake, cheese, poetry, and the charming, homey pictures you post. Such a joy; thank you! Our favorite cheese is a white Vermont cheddar aged 2 years; wish I could hand you a wedge of it.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Another sameness, we share! I love cottages too! Would love to live in one. Never will, due to many reasons. So.... I use my imagination, and fancy that the rooms we still use in this house {same house we raised our family in, and too big now}... I make believe those rooms, are all there is to the house. And it's thus, really a cottage!!! ,-)

Sorry you had to fight off a rant on something. -sigh- I know the feeling!!!! :-( Congratulations to you, for so doing though!!!

I now have to keep all "News" out of my mind. Unlike the past, when I keep totally immersed in it. Now, my blood pressure just won't allow it. So... I can't anymore and that's that.

Yummmmmmmm, to the slice of cake and cheese!! In this house, we have Apple Pie with Sharp Cheddar Cheese. :-)

Oh do tell us of books. I love to find reading ideas, in blogs.

And I must look up info on "Self-Reiki"! If it gives restful, deep, dreamless sleep, that's for me!! I'll do a Search on it, and perhaps you'll direct us to a book on it? Or a tape?

Good luck in the rugby match!! Not sure if you're 5 or 6 hours ahead of me, so it may well be nearly over by the time I'm writing this. {18:45 Eastern Time US}

Aunt Amelia
"It seems a long time since the morning mail could be called correspondence." ~Jacques Barzun

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So many tasty items in this post, Cait. From the poetry to the pictures, from the books to Radio 4...all of which I love! And that cake, with cheese and tea...there's couldn't be much better, methinks.

I have Edgar Sawtelle in my stack, and it's nearing the top. I am happy to hear you liked it.

I wish you a lovely weekend!

Fennie said...

Love that poem about the Dublin funeral. And the cake! Yes, the music people choose is revealing. I sometimes wonder what my list would be - but then I think it changes each time I ask myself the question. My luxury would have to be my laptop though. And a wireless signal! Is that allowed?

Herbalgirl said...

I really love the Welsh "Colliers" cheddar which I buy at Waitrose. You should be able to find it easily. It reminds me of my beloved Vermont cheddar that Barbee describes.

Frances said...

Hello Cait,

I saw your message re the disappearance of you post. Well, I have been happy to find it tonight, and had the great pleasure of reading it.

Whenever I visit your site, I always feel that I have been in the home of a good friend. Cups of tea, good music, lots of great ideas and fun tossed about the place.

So glad that I can keep visiting!

Anonymous said...

In this part of the world Tasmanian and King Island cheeses are the best. A lovely post, thank you Cait. I love your cottage photograph, and can imagine how delicious that fruit cake would be.

Nan said...

Cait, when we were in Ireland last, I bought a poster of Irish Cottages at a tourist shop for hardly any money, brought it home, and had it framed for lotsa money. It hangs on our study wall and is beautiful beyond words. Many different views in one poster. I went to the company site, and found it in case you might like to order one for yourself.

http://picturepress.ie/irish_cottages_poster

It is a wee bit different than mine, with some pictures the same, and a few added. It is also a little pricier, but hey, I bought mine in 1992!

Pat Posner said...

Cheddar cheese goes so well with fruit cake (I like a good chunk of cheese with toast and marmalade, too).

Quick's Farmhouse cheddar is a good strong one - I don't think you can get it in supermarkets though.
Cait, have you tried Snowdonia Cheddar? It's really nice but it isn't much like cheddar! The same people do a White Stilton with mushrooms and garlic. That's great with fruit cake, too.

CAMILLA said...

I love Cottages and their windows too Cait, how pretty the one you have shown with thatch and kettle on window-sill.

The book cover of children seated at window is sooo sweet. Thank you for the mention of David Wrablewski book, and I am a dog lover, another one to put on my list for library.

Radio 4 is my favourite radio station too, I did hear the programme you mention Cait, I agree many creative souls have a sad side to them, which includes lots of writer's and artist's.

I have a passion for fruit cake, and yes, especially good with cheese, especially Stilton.!

Love the Dublin Poem.

xx

Woozle1967 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woozle1967 said...

Aaah, I love cottage windows too - especially if I can peek inside!!

That cake looks very tempting - the kettle's just boiling on the Rayburn as I write so am going to rummage for something to eat with the tea I'm about to make now! Totally your fault.......xx